Are we really a sports-loving nation obsessed by footy and the outdoors? Well, our Top 100 list reveals that we’re also a nation of avid readers.
Around 5000 people responded to Better Reading’s survey on their favourite books, the first survey of its kind. Is your favourtite among them? Parramatta Library already has many of these titles why not reserve one now.
The quick view list can be found here with the full more detailed list here.
The survey revealed:
- Australians enjoy a diverse mix of literary and popular fiction
- The gender balance of authors was almost equal at 49% female and 51% male
- General fiction is the most popular genre closely followed by historical fiction, crime/thriller and classics
- Australians enjoy a mix of international and home-grown authors
- Tim Winton and Bryce Courtenay were revealed as the most popular Australian authors, both with numerous titles on the list.
Better Reading will compile the Top 100 list annually and expects it to be a great resource for libraries, gift-givers and readers in general.
Better Reading (betterreading.com.au) is an independent book recommendation and news site launched to captivate an audience of all ages. The site encourages people to make time for reading, and reinforces the benefit of reading such as: significantly reducing stress levels, easing muscle tension and protecting against mental decline. Better Reading is dedicated to helping people discover great books and authors.