South African-born Australian author J M Coetzee’s forthcoming novel The Schooldays of Jesus (Text, October) has been longlisted for the 2016 Man Booker Prize.
The 13 books longlisted for the prize are:
- The Sellout(Paul Beatty, Oneworld)
- The Schooldays of Jesus(J M Coetzee, Text)
- Serious Sweet(A L Kennedy, Jonathan Cape)
- Hot Milk(Deborah Levy, Hamish Hamilton)
- His Bloody Project(Graeme Macrae Burnet, Contraband)
- The North Water(Ian McGuire, Scribner)
- Hystopia(David Means, Faber)
- The Many(Wyl Menmuir, Salt Publishing)
- Eileen(Ottessa Moshfegh, Jonathan Cape)
- Work Like Any Other(Virginia Reeves, Scribner)
- My Name is Lucy Barton(Elizabeth Strout, Viking)
- All That Man Is(David Szalay, Jonathan Cape)
- Do Not Say We Have Nothing(Madeleine Thien, Granta)
Coetzee is the only previous winner to make this year’s longlist, having won in 1983 for Life & Times of Michael K(Vintage) and 1999 for Disgrace (Vintage), and Levy the only other author previously shortlisted.