Second Tuesday Book Group – August 2014
When the Taliban took control of the Swat Valley in Pakistan, one girl spoke out. Malala Yousafzai refused to be silenced and fought for her right to an education.
On Tuesday, October 9, 2012, when she was fifteen, she almost paid the ultimate price. She was shot in the head at point-blank range while riding the bus home from school, and few expected her to survive.
- Sonya found Malala interesting & is looking forward to see how the story progresses.
- The history and political situation was very interesting.
- Found it inspiring.
- Tried to please her father by education, competition and driving herself.
- What she has done is courageous but may not like her personally.
- Will removing her from her environment have a significant impact on her?
- Beginning was chronologically out of order, but possibly the emotional sequence of a young girl! Second half was more ‘promotional’ like it was written with a political career or fundraising in mind.