The Australian Crime Writers Association (ACWA) has announced the shortlists for this year’s Ned Kelly Awards for Australian crime writing.
The shortlisted works in each category are:
Best crime fiction
- Marlborough Man (Alan Carter, Fremantle Press)
- Under Cold Bright Lights (Garry Disher, Text)
- Redemption Point (Candice Fox, Bantam)
- Crossing the Lines (Sulari Gentill, Pantera)
- The Lone Child (Anna George, Viking)
- The Student (Iain Ryan, Echo)
Best true crime
- The Contractor (Mark Abernethy, Pan Macmillan)
- Unmaking A Murder: The Mysterious Death of Anna Jane Cheney (Graham Archer, Ebury)
- The Suitcase Baby (Tanya Bretherton, Hachette)
- The Fatalist (Campbell McConachie, Hachette)
- Whiteley on Trial (Gabriella Coslovich, MUP)
Best first fiction
- Wimmera (Mark Brandi, Hachette)
- The Dark Lake (Sarah Bailey, A&U)
- The Girl in Keller’s Way (Megan Goldin, Michael Joseph)
- See What I Have Done (Sarah Schmidt, Hachette).
The winners will be announced on 26 August during the Melbourne Writers Festival.